Sunday, May 15, 2011

Selkowe Blogs Monona

Vicky Selkowe is one of the many candidates running for the 48th Assembly District seat to replace Joe Parisi, who has a new job downtown.

Selkowe recently attended and then blogged the TNS Monona's Sustainable Monona 2025 event.

I met with Vicky a few weeks ago and was very impressed. I've also met with Chris Taylor, who was also very impressive. (I tried linking to Taylor's Facebook page and my browser started acting wacky. Google Chris Taylor for assembly and it's the first hit.) Their styles seem to differ, their politics are very similar. Chris has perhaps the more goal-oriented, practical approach to legislating. She learned that way of doing things in her eight years as the Public Policy Director at the Planned Parenthood Advocates of Wisconsin. They were able to get legislation passed during times when other progressive causes lagged.

Selkowe also touts herself as a pragmatic progressive, but I have heard her described as perhaps less flexible.

Principles and pragmatism, the yin and yang of politics, eh? 

***

I'm meeting with Bethany Ordaz and Robin Schmidt later this week. I've also talked to Patrick Miles (County Board super for McFarland).

I've not heard from any of the other candidates - Dave DeFelice, Fred Arnold, or Andy Heidt). Am I leaving anyone out?

 

1 comment:

  1. Alyssa MahaffayTuesday, May 17, 2011

    Thanks for helping our neighbors learn about the candidates!

    I enthusiastically support Vicky Selkowe. I've worked with both Vicky and Chris. What strikes me about Vicky is that she isn't a single issue candidate and that she has real meaningful experience working on LOTS of the issues that are important to me and should be important to all of us who live in Monona: affordable housing, health care, worker's rights and education!

    While I respect the work Chris has done for Planned Prarenthood, I think the experience Vicky has working on a variety of issues and the experience she has gained from working in the Assembly right now means that she is the candidate who will be able to hit the ground running with a strong understanding about the great variety of issues she will be expected to handle in the Assembly.

    Wow. Long sentence. But you get what I'm saying.

    Vote Vicky!

    ReplyDelete