Thursday, September 11, 2008

Noise Across Monona Update

I contacted the 's offices of the county executive and the mayor of madison regarding last weekend's noise from across the lake. First point, the Alliant Energy Center and the Ironman event have to be considered separately. Different venues with different governance.

Topf Wells, chief of staff for Kathleen Falk, emailed back that she and Supervisor Schmidt each have made inquiries to county staff in order to respond to some of the noise complaints regarding the Willow Island events.

"As we get this information and figure out options for next season (this one, as you know, is about finished), we'll be in communication with you and the other folks who care about this."

I also talked with Joel Plant, an assistant to Mayor Cieslewicz, and he was also very responsive. He indicated that the event permits get tweaked every year. The city has recorded the various complaints and those will be factored in when next year's permit is reviewed. My sense was that the city took the complaints seriously, recognized there was a problem and will work to fix it. Frankly, I was pleasantly surprised - I thought I might get a pat on the head and a figurative shove out the door.

The city has also passed on the concerns to Ironman directly. I did the same, but have had no response yet.

Encouraging cooperation from our neighbors.

3 comments:

  1. Doug,

    You say you have not heard form Ironman yet. You won't, I'll bet. And judging by the responses in this morning's State Urinal, all we''l get is lip service. When we first moved here and lived in a rented house on Midmoor, one July 3rd I heard a most goshawful racket coming from Winnequah Park. I called Monona PD and found that it was "Axle Grease" playing late into the night (my kids were very small then) and PD gave them the "benefit of the doubt" and were letting them play until 11:30 PM. Fair enough. But I am very glad you contacted Madison and Dane County as sometimes Madison gets too big for its britches and comes off like a big bully. Thanks for inquiring and standing up for Monona.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Fred. I am more optimistic than you based on my phone conversation. I think I have fairly sharp baloney-detectors and I really did not think I was being 'handled' at all. Time will tell.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Keeping Clucking.
    I appreciate your work-I know my wife does who is still a little steamed.
    Thanks,
    Henny Penny

    ReplyDelete