Sunday, April 05, 2009

Veserat Sends Attack Letter

Monona aldermanic candidate Mike Veserat recently sent out an attack letter to selected voters - I wasn't selected, but I did obtain a copy. Basically, Veserat takes up his cudgel to bash alder Chad Speight and I for daring to propose new ideas. The letter contains no outright lies, but does misinform its recipients through the use of half-truths.

Veserat attacks Chad's pedestrian safety plan by distorting it into a sidewalk plan. It is not just a sidewalk plan, Chad stated when he brought the idea forward that he did not expect many if any sidewalks to be built, but he wanted to start the discussion about pedestrian safety. Veserat wants no part of such a discussion. Veserat wants to kill the idea and dispatch it's carrier.

Second, Veserat attacks the proposed chicken-keeping ordinance as a waste of "valuable city council time." When the government prevents people from using their private property in a way that does not disturb their neighbors for no good reason, I do not consider it a waste of the council's time to look at revising the overly restrictive law.

(By the way, the city council has finished its last 2009 regular meetings at 10 pm, 9 pm, 8:45 pm, 10 pm, and 8:33 pm.)

Veserat next attacks a purported proposed ordinance to allow composting toilets. Since the ZBA ruled that composting toilets are allowed, there is no need to change the ordinance. But, again, yet another attack on a new idea.

Finally, Veserat blames me for delaying the Monona Drive project because at one time I supported a roundabout at the Nichols Road intersection. First, yet another attack on a new idea and also another half-truth. Yes, I did support a roundabout, as did a majority of the ad hoc Monona Drive committee and city council, but to suggest that consideration of a roundabout seriously delayed the project is simply wrong.

The Monona Drive project is federally funded, which brings in to play many federal safeguards and hoops. One of the requirements is preparation, review and approval of an environmental impact statement for the entire corridor. Another task was to choose the design. Another is to acquire needed right-of-way from literally dozens of property owners. One of the consultants state that in her 20+ years of experience working on federally-funded local road projects, the Monona Drive project was the most challenging and complicated. Veserat knows all this - or should - since he sits on the ad hoc Monona Drive committee.

I suppose we should thank Mr. Veserat for clarifying the choices.

14 comments:

  1. Doug- The sidewalk debate makes me so mad- Chad has been so clear that he is interested in pedestrian safety- not just sidewalks- and he was instrumental in helping principal Ann Schroeder and the PTO of Winnequah School get some stop signs and other traffic things around the schools where kids are walking. We do not have safe streets for people, especially kids, to walk. And then we wonder why families do not move here?? You are right- no new ideas is V's campaign, and yet our city are not moving forward AT ALL in terms of making the city attractive to families. The open enrollment numbers show that the school thing has been a non-issue.... but cheers to Chad for trying to make our streets safer for all of us.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I do not think that this letter as you describe it is an attack letter. I think your post is much a do about nothing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Doug, instead of your interpretation of the letter, perhaps you could have posted it - with your comments. I have not seen it - and I don't think it's fair to simply post your slant on the letter's contents. You say it has 1/2 truths and distortions - but we're going on your word that's what the letter says. You could argue that your post is distorting his letter (again, I haven't read it, so I don't know the truth). Perhaps you're right - but I think it's best to post what is being said and then make corrections. In the end, it only will make your case stronger if you are correct. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  4. "Doug, instead of your interpretation of the letter, perhaps you could have posted it - with your comments."

    OK, reality check folks. This is not a newspaper. I am not a journalist.

    I do not have an electronic copy of the document. And I have never figured out how to post PDF files anyway.

    But stop a second and think about what you are asking me to do. A political opponent sends a letter attacking Chad and I to a limited number of people and then I commented upon the letter. You want me to use my blog to post the entire letter attacking me so it gets wider exposure at no cost????

    I don't think so.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am not posting any more comments on this post until at least Wednesday.

    ReplyDelete
  6. "A political opponent sends a letter attacking Chad and I to a limited number of people and then I commented upon the letter. "

    A great example of political justsiu

    ReplyDelete
  7. The full letter is here:

    http://mikevformayor.com/veserat/Mike_Veserat_for_Monona_City_Council.html

    ReplyDelete
  8. FYI, your comment was cut off. Just post http://mikevformayor.com/ and it'll hotlink to the specific page.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh great. We're about to elect someone who doesn't know which office he's running for?

    ReplyDelete
  10. Sorry, anonymous Charlie.

    Councilman this year, mayor in two years.

    We think ahead and reserve websites accordingly.

    Prepare your bad self now.

    Change, it is a'comin............

    Have you any doubt after this election night??

    And HEY!!! I can actually spell ELECTION.

    Maybe I went to Dartmouth..........

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hummpf. Hurrumpfffff. Yes, perhaps we should thank Mr. Veserat for clarifying the choices.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hmmm.

    Extrapolating your clear disdain for Mr. Veserat, do you intend to work in good faith with him for the good of the Monona community?

    Just wonderin'..............

    ReplyDelete
  13. First of all, there will be a recount, so let's not count the chickens before....anyway, yes, I think I have shown an ability to get along with pretty much everyone over the years.

    And don't generalize from my reaction to his attack letter to my overall feelings about him.

    Perhaps a more appopriate question is whether *he* will be able to work with me and the mayor and the rest of the council.

    ReplyDelete
  14. "Sorry, anonymous Charlie.

    Councilman this year, mayor in two years."

    Not clear what you are trying to say. You are proposing that Mike Veserat will run for Mayor in two years?

    Can we finish this election before we start talking about the next one?

    ReplyDelete