Tuesday, February 10, 2009

Chicken Talk from Alder Chad Speight

Alder Speight dropped this over the transom. The bold emphasis is mine.

To the Citizens of Monona,

I have to confess that urban chickens are new to me. My first reaction to the topic a few years ago was skepticism. I had visions of barns, haystacks, mud; and I envisioned lots of noise, clutter, and mess. I share this story, because I have since learned that my preconceptions were wrong. The fact is that urban chickens, regulated in a reasonable manner, create a healthy, diverse, and more self-sufficient community. I understand why some citizens are hesitant, but I am confident that urban chickens are a good fit in Monona, for many reasons.

Small-scale urban agriculture is good for our ecosystem. Vegetable scraps get composted, to make soil for gardens; which grow vegetables to feed our families, which get composted again. This cycle of life is resourceful and sustainable. We all know the value of a vegetable garden, and having a few chickens is similar to growing lettuce- you have to tend it; keep predators away, and feed the soil with water and nutrients. Those chickens also require water, food, a good place to live and grow, and protection. The reward is a harvest of eggs, without any trips to the grocery store.

The chicken coop is hard to find in an urban landscape. I have visited a few now, and I am always looking around the coop to try to find the coop. (That’s the coop?) Thanks to our winter climate, a chicken coop needs to be contained and heated, which seems to lead most chicken farmers to build a shed (or just remodel space in an existing outbuilding) to create a comfortable spot for the chickens to live. I have been amazed by the lack of odor, and the simple friendliness of the chickens. No different than a dog house, etc; except that chickens have to be protected from predators, and this also contributes to their low profile. If the new chicken farmer lets the birds roam, then our healthy hawk population will be even happier. So the feeding also happens in relative safety, and these creatures do not let seed go to waste. They will eat any mice that roam in as well, just in case you were worried about that.

The manure from of few chickens is not a health hazard. In fact, a single dog weighing 50 pounds produces more waste with higher phosphorous content than the 5 chickens allowed in this ordinance. Unlike dog waste, which cannot be safely composted; chicken waste can be composted and used back in the garden, to enrich the soil. Whereas the large chicken farm (or any large animal operation) creates a potential hazard due to the volume of waste, the small urban enterprise is more balanced, and by design, much less hazardous. No berms are required. Again, dog waste is more hazardous, and must be disposed of off premises.

We get what we pay for with food, just like anything else. Large-scale “factory” farming seems efficient and cheap, but there are environmental costs that are not paid for at the grocery store. The animals on large farms are often treated less humanely, are fed less balanced diets, and produce less nutritious foods. We are healthier if we consume healthier foods. Keeping chickens is not a cheap proposition (come to think of it, neither is gardening or owning a pet); but the payback is real; and worthy of our support for those who are willing.

Chickens become part of the family, like any other pet, which leads most caretakers to treat their animals well. Caring for other things is rewarding, since most animals return the love. My dog is a great companion, and when I decided to run for council, I knew that I already had a friend that would stick with me, which is true! (So what if only Ginger loves me :-) Of course, people who do not want a dog, a cat, or a chicken, are free to live without these animals. But chickens are similar to dogs or cats in many ways. They require attention every day; and we expect owners to take good care of these animals, as required by local ordinances.

Of course, animals can cause a nuisance and harm others. Our laws and regulations exist to address this issue. We do not ban dogs because they can bark or even bite; nor do we ban cats even though they can kill songbirds. Chickens, in small numbers, just do not attract much attention. Right now, in Monona, at least 2 chicken coops exist, perhaps as many as 4, yet no one has ever complained. If a chicken owner did not tend his or her flock, then our current laws would allow the city to take action. The proposed ordinance clarifies these rights, responsibilities, and limitations.

We all eat, and yet I know that I purchase most of my food at the market. I enjoy growing herbs and tomatoes, and occasional vegetables. I have learned a lot about the value of tending the garden over the years; and I have enjoyed seeing my children learn from the limited gardening that we do. Certainly, raising chickens serves as a valuable lesson to families, friends, and neighbors, and reconnects us to the food chain, and to the circle of life. Our disconnect from these interconnections has enabled us to pollute our water, air, and soil. When we produce some of our own food, we reduce our dependence on practices that have polluted our environment in recent decades.

Finally, I am reminded of one of my favorite Woody Allen jokes. “I had an uncle who thought he was a chicken. I asked my aunt, ‘Why don’t you turn him in?’ , and she responded, ‘I would, but I need the eggs.’” At first glance, raising chickens in the city might seem crazy, but it isn’t, and in these uncertain times, we definitely need the eggs. Please join me in trusting and respecting the good judgment of the citizens of Monona, by allowing us to raise a few chickens, if we so choose.

Sincerely,

Chad T Speight, CR, Monona Alderperson

2 comments:

  1. I say BOY! No Roosters in Monona?

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-LCsiWL6gn0&feature=related

    Just Yolkin'

    100% Dead on Chad!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like your article. Will try to get zoning change for hens. Live in Rohnert Park ca. All the talk about go green. Lets have them put there money where there mouth is. Kids and adults are crazy about chickens.

    ReplyDelete