Thursday, May 10, 2007

This Is Driving Me Nuts!



Having fun with the Beltline construction project yet? Since I work at 610 N. Whitney Way, I usually drive the Beltline from Monona to Whitney Way and then north to the office. But, since last week DOT has had the Beltline all torn up and one lane closed even during peak travel times.

I'm not complaining because, after all, what's the point? And they have to do the roadwork and Monona's own Curt Neuhauser is overseeing the project for WisDOT, but....jeeez lou-wheeze, traffic is messed up in this town. I've tried the Beltline - not good - I've tried John Nolen to park Street to University, etc. - not too good either. Fortunately, DOT has these handy traffic cams and congestion maps that you can check on the Internet. So, now you can check and see just how screwed up traffic is going to be!

It only lasts all summer.

And traffic jams are not new. Here's one in Madison from 1945!


3 comments:

  1. You think it is bad now? Just wait until that WalMart opens. You will not be able to approach Monona via the beltline at all. There was no planning at all about how this would affect the beltline.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have to disagree with you on that one. The Beltline's capacity is down by one-third during the day and two-thirds at night.

    I expect WalMart traffic won't be concentrated as much at the peak hours as commuting traffic, but it will make congestion worse - until we get a roundabout at the top of the ramp! Just kidding - sort of.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree hate that mess in the morning.

    ReplyDelete